7.23.2008

Shot Through the Wallet

We made an unexpected stop at Bass Pro Shop yesterday. My mom was insistent on getting an impregnated mosquito net and 98% DEET mosquito repellent. Ever since Typhoid Fever struck last year, I think she's concerned I might contract every deadly disease out there.

I have to admit to being a little nervous about my health too...while trippy hallucinations, anorexia and chatting with non-existent people might be great memories, I'm not sure I want to go down that road again. So, I got vaccinated. Yup. Really.

I think I over did it at first. I went to an "International Travel Clinic". DON'T DO THIS. I was amazed...the old man listened quietly and then made his own checklist of every disease, infection, rash that I was absolutely, positively was going to contract unless I spent a million dollars on vaccinating myself. I think he wanted me to get around 24 shots.

So, I said, "Man, I'm paying for this...what do I really need? I mean REALLY."

With his brow furrowed, he crossed off a few. Looked up, saw my desperate smile. Sigh. Cross. Cross. cross. Down to 8. I opted for 4. (Always negotiating.)

And guess how much THAT cost??? $600.

While I was preparing for the four, the Filipina nurse laughed at me for getting Typhoid. "Ha, Ha! You swim in a RIVER!" STAB! (Injection #1)

"Everyone knows not to swim in RIVERS." STAB! (#2)

"Ocean, ok. No RIVER! Ha! Ha!" and STAB! STAB! (#3 & 4)

At least she gave me a lollipop.

Rachel, always my financial adviser, steered me to a more economical institution: the Leavenworth County Health Clinic in Kansas, where four shots only cost me $190 and I got to see the legendary penitentiary that everyone knows about.

Yellow Fever, check. Hep A, check. Hep B, check, check. Meningitis, check. MMR Booster, check. Tetanus, check. Typhoid, check. That's quite a checklist if you ask me!

3 comments:

soucouyant said...

I adore you. Please keep writing and let's talk arabiyya sometime! mwah!

Unknown said...

I love this scene you paint. I only get shots from nurses who don a hand puppet on the non-offending hand and stab with the other. And they have to promise not to let me see the needle.

Something tells me your nurse was not so accommodating.

PS 45 hits already! People like the Khartoum Network. And people love G-Rhymes.

--Brookles

Rach said...

see, me being the practical one, i get fewer stories like this winner. That makes me think MY blog won't be nearly as entertaining. but that's not a surprise to anyone, now, is it?
"Look to my blog, guys- I'm the one passionately describing my inside/outside thermometer/alarm clock!"
ha!