10.20.2008

Swim Coach...??

Sporty Spice here reporting for duty! (Hey, if Amanda can run a marathon, what's stopping me from being a swimming coach?)

I had been sent as a replacement to help time the girls on their different strokes. There never really was much of a swimming program at our school, but the rich school down the road has been kind enough to open up the pool in order to have some sort of local competition.

So, there I was in the sweltering heat stopwatch in hand. The girls' heads bobbing, confused as to what "competitive swimming" was exactly. I didn't really have any intentions of coaching per se...or even of swimming. But when girls had no idea of how to swim freestyle or dive, I seized the moment. I borrowed Rachel's suit and quickly was demonstrating. Whodathunk it? Me, a coach!

By the end, two girls had freestyle down (more or less), one jumped off the diving platform for the first time and a couple more had perfected the belly flop! Success! And maybe, I might come back again for more!

No comments: