2.19.2009

Sudanese Supremes?

Valentine's Day, in case you didn't hear, got banned here in Sudan.

That didn't stop the Nightingales (al Balabil) from performing their much awaited concert at the Officer's Club. What a way to celebrate! This was the first concert I had even HEARD about, much less, could attend! Really...I'm not exaggerating the least!

Turns out these three sisters, known as the Sudanese Supremes, rarely sing together anymore, despite being regular household names and the most well-known singers in all of Sudan. (Two of the sisters live in the States now!)

It was great to see a variety of people rocking out, singing, dancing and enjoying themselves. Truly this is a rare occasion to so many people out and about! My favorite song was a love song somehow trapped behind the title "If You Ask for Directions, You Won't Get Lost".

I won't mention how the people sat in the aisles and the gates were locked when we went to leave. It makes me hyperventilate thinking about fire codes and such.

No comments: