I know that Obama ran under the slogan of CHANGE. Little did he realize how quickly he would start making those changes. I am amazed at the impact that his election to the White House has made on how the rest of the world views America and Americans.
The day after the election, everyone greeted us with, "OBAMA!" Even a few weeks later, we are still being asked about who we voted for and why.
But there's more than that. Suddenly, it's as if I'm an approachable human being who people want to talk to. (Which, obviously, didn't happen that frequently before.) I am shocked by how I have been stopped repeatedly with the most sincere smiles from strangers wanting to discuss politics. Today our taxi driver told us that Obama's election has inspired his people, as Africans and as blacks, to realize there is hope to combat injustice. Yet again, inspiring change.
For those of you Americans have traveled outside the US, you know the impact Bush had on our reputation abroad. And even if you haven't, I think it's important for you to realize the incredible shift in perspective a President Obama has made on international scene. I, for one, am grateful and proud.
moving on up
16 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment