
Last weekend we went on the Desert Hash to "The Rocks"...literally that was what was written on our travel visa. (Another fabulous piece of bureaucracy we had to deal with since we were traveling 25 km. outside of Khartoum.) We were happy to abide since this was our first time out of the big city (with the exception of Ethiopia).

I'm sure someone with much more geographic knowledge will be able to inform me as to why there is nothing in the barren desert for miles (really this is what it looks like for hours). Then voila! There is this pile of smooth well-formed rocks. Hmmmm.

I love rock-climbing, especially massive boulders that are plopped down in the middle of nowhere. Here's Marissa looking like a pro
(left).Here's the view.. Although I may not have been quite as graceful, I still managed to climb to the top. I have the achy thighs to prove it!


Even though there is only one two-lane road north, there are no signs anywhere! Literally, the directions to the site said once you have driven about 90 kilometers out of the city-limits, turn left off of the road. True off-roading! As you can see, some of us had a little more difficult time getting there.

Lucky for us...we were behind the wheel of the mighty Tinus (rhymes with you know what)! He was a crazy South African driver who thoroughly enjoyed hearing us screech with delight as he sped off-road, passing the rest of the caravan and making donuts in the sand! Phew! We survived, although I might of peed my pants...just a little!

We had a fabulous time out in the wilderness, on the sand dunes, around the campfire, under a full moon-lit sky!

And...finally we're certified campers! Look! We put up a tent...and it didn't blow away!

Did I mention that we saw a camel??
No comments:
Post a Comment