11.28.2008

Turkey Day Far Away

I'm thankful for matching tablecloths and napkins, turkeys from home and friends with true southern hospitality!Although I had to work all day, I was lucky enough to make it to our buddy's real Thanksgiving dinner. He works for the Embassy, therefore had the day off to spend whipping up all the traditional treats! Here's the host and his sous chef:A colleague had just come from the States last week, bringing with him several frozen turkeys and cranberry sauce! Yum!








How American...we all piled around the TV for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and live football, all courtesy of AFN (American Forces Network), which also includes the Pentagon Channel.
I was an AFN virgin, and I really didn't know that our troops and embassies were privy to the best public access-TV in the world! The commercials are straight up propaganda and depressing! Within the few hours we were there I saw ads for how to deal with medical evacuation, being away from your loved ones, and feelings of suicide sandwiched in between Santa Claus and the Rockettes. Of course they were all set in front of Old Glory waving in the background. What a job it must be to work at AFN...sign up for duty and get sent...somewhere...to make commercials like this!The aftermath...which seems pretty quintessential Thanksgiving! Although there weren't any fights (that I noticed), this was as real as it gets far away from family and friends! I hope everyone had a fabulous Turkey Day!

No comments: