
Today we kayaked on the Nile! It was the first time that I've been on the Nile here in Sudan. Above is "The Egg", a brand new, fancy hotel that costs something like $400/night. It's really the only landmark of notice around these parts. I think it looks a bit like R2-D2.


We were treated so well...tea and fried fish to begin with to "get some energy". Our friends followed along in the SAR boat (Search and Rescue) snapping up all of these lovely photos.

Since there were only two kayaks and three people who wanted to go out, Marissa opted to received a free lesson in rowing and was crewing down the Nile in no time at all!

Later, she wanted to try a bit of kayaking and I ended up on Tutti Island wandering around in the mud. Little did I realize that it was quick-mud! As soon as I stepped down, I was knee-deep in squishy-squirty-suck-you-down mud. I tried to run towards the shore to get out, only to be sucked in deeper!

I was screaming and hollering and finally two guys pulled me out! So much for a walk around the island. Humph!

We concluded a beautiful day with some Sudanese spiced coffee. Amazingly, we didn't have to pay a cent! Pure and simple Sudanese hospitality...pictures included! What a perfect day!
No comments:
Post a Comment