8.28.2008

Back to School

Tonight was "Back to School Night" at KAS, an opportunity for parents to meet their children's teachers. It was interesting to see how truly international our school is and the range of other foreigners living here in Khartoum, most doing really fascinating things, whether it's the head of an NGO or the Ambassador for the country. I spent the evening using my best ESL skills to try to explain a curriculum I wasn't 100% sure of myself. I even managed to converse with in French for a Mauritanian father!

When I returned home, I found several notes from NYC teachers reminding me that, yes, they too have returned back to the classroom. I felt a pang of nostalgia for the familiar faces and situations, wondering if I was insane to jump ship on a pretty positive, comfortable living and working environment.

Then I laughed at myself, in realization that that's exactly why I left. (Although I do miss it!)

No comments: