8.27.2008

Hustle and Bus..tle

Transportation isn't bad around these parts. Albeit a little hectic, we've managed to get around in cars, tuk-tuks, amjads (little taxi-buses) just fine. Somehow we just hadn't quite made it to the true bus yet...until today!

Even the veteran teachers throw their arms up when you ask them to explain the routes. Something to do with the colors and the order of which they are painted on the side of of the bus. Each bus will have anywhere from 1-5 different stripes. I haven't figured out if the trim counts in the color scheme. Basically, no one really knows where they go. So, it's just better to jump on one and hope for the best!
The process of riding a bus is very calm and quiet, just like New York's buses! There is a man who stands in the doorway and ushers you on and off. There is no standing on the bus, unless you happen to be the aforementioned bus usher. The aisles magically transform to pull-down seats. The men have proven to be chivalrous, jumping up to offer their seats to us as well as other Sudanese women.

Once you are seated and bouncing down the unmarked road, the usher will snap his fingers, meaning, "Pay up!" The bus is a deal at 50 piasters (25 cents). Everyone passes their coins and bills to the front. It's your job to keep up and participate with the passing back and forth of fares. And I've learned, don't expect your change immediately, even if you saw you're exact change just land in the usher's hand. He'll give it to when he wants. (On average a good 3-4 minutes later.)

But...wait! The bus is getting on an unfamiliar road! You want OFF!!! Hold your horses, don't shout and scream! Just snap harshly at the usher. He emits a long, "SSsssssss" and before you know it, you're on the side of the road.

As the bus pulled off and the dust settled, I stood there shocked. That was by far the most tranquil, no-nonsense bus I have ever ridden! (And darn cheap!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I am having Africa transport flashbacks! especially the passing back the change. Regardless of how many hands my change passed through, I was never once shorted a penny (or shilling, rand, metical, or kwacha).