8.09.2008

Red Light, Green Light

Typical street scenes here in Khartoum, taken sometime in the past week. To be honest, I can't really remember when. I just remember we were being shuttled around from place to place to see the "sights".
I've gotten a lot of questions about women and their role in society here. As you can see, women and men are out interacting with one another all of the time. I'm doing my research. Although I know that gyms and pools are mostly segregated and you can only work out when it's "women only". Hmph.

I forgot to mention what a great place this is for drive-thru shopping! Peddlers are constantly knocking on your window and pestering you to check out their wares. Some of the highlights include: pot/pan sets, mirror, tissues, windshield wipers, fishing rods and walking canes.

Traffic jams allow for a little more time for the sales transaction, especially when they have something you actually want, say a nice rolling cart for our bathroom. It doesn't take much to get their attention, usually interpreting eye contact as extreme interest.

Once we have waved down the vendor, our bus door opens and we start the haggling process.

"How much? Ooooh! Too much! What about for two? Hmmm."

We start rolling forward...seems one of the only lights in the city has changed to green. With the contraption in our hand, the bus driver shuts the door on us and zips ahead. Everyone involved knows that this is not stealing, but simply a delayed transaction. Of course, the man follows running after us at a full sprint, three other carts linked in his arms. With the squeak of the breaks, we are stuck again in traffic. The door opens again and the haggling continues. Finally we settle on two for $10.

But...wait! This one's broken. Whoops, green light! Open the door again, we yell to the vendor, who follows us for another sprint. In perfect unison, as if practicing for the Olympic Relay*, we flawlessly pass the carts back and forth.

As we pull off along the Nile, we hold our dear cart close and admire what a positive shopping experience that was. I'll take this any day to Wal-Mart!

*The Sudanese are expected to do well at the Olympics, perhaps even a gold! Stay tuned!

No comments: