8.03.2008

Shout Out to the Spice Babies

Ok...this has nothing to do with Africa, but I did want to give the Spice Babies some air. For most of July I was at home in Kansas City with my mom and step-dad. As some of you may know, my mom has a passion for animals. She rehabilitates any that may have an injury of sorts (including neurological disorders) and then releases them back into the wild. It makes for a fun-filled home much like Dr. Doolittle's.

Now I don't really like opossums (sorry Mom). I'm sure you don't care for them either. But I'm a sucker for the babies. This baker's dozen (13!) somehow showed up at my mom's house fresh from THEIR mom's pouch. Some hadn't even opened their eyes! They all fit in my mom's lap and she has to feed them with a tube. My favorite part is how they instinctively grab your finger with their tails!

The best part of having a new animal is naming them. We had already gone through the cheeses (Asiago, Gouda, Cheddar...you get the idea.) Since we had spent the day looking for spices to take to Africa, we decided they would be "The Spice Babies". Here you'll see: Salt 'n Peppa, Sage, Herb, Rosemary, Chive, Dill, Lavender, Coriander, Verbena, Chile, Cinnamon & Cilantro.
Here's a surly teenager. Read: Sometimes adorable, but can be awfully ugly at times.

No comments: