So, we have some traveling buddies and have decided to head to Ethiopia for about 10 days at the end of September! I know, I know...you're still stuck in the mindset of "We Are the World" and Sally Struthers, hardly thinking that this is a must see destination. Well, throw off that 80's mentality and get with the rest of the world.
Ever since we have arrived everyone has been touting what an amazing place Ethiopia is. Here are just a few things to get you excited about it:
- It has a long history as a Christian country...they even claim to have the Ark of the Covenant there. (For those who didn't know, that's what Moses used to transport the 10 Commandments across the Red Sea. Don't worry, I had to look it up too!)
- It was the only African country not to have been colonized (quite a feat if you ask me!)
- Where the Rastafarian movement began its great move to Jamaica and around the world
- With a capital named Addis Ababa you start to understand how so many Ethiopians did so well at the Olympics.

- A variety of hues exist along the landscape, including green I'm told! (As you can see from the image search I did!)
- Fabulous cuisine at cheap prices!
- Alcohol!
- Pork!
- We arrive just in time to celebrate Meskel, the Finding of the True Cross (another biblical reference to the cross on which Jesus was crucified)
- Meskel also happens to coincide with Rachel's 26th birthday!

2 comments:
Sounds like you are workin' real hard to throw me a birthday party. can't wait!
Wow, you read my mind! Just 2 days ago I added Ethiopia to my mental geography file of "how will we visit the ladies while they are in Sudan?" I even checked out airfare to Addis! But that's OK, you can go without me...it is Rachel's b-day. I guess we are the world, after all.
Can you tell me more about how you cook over there?
Post a Comment