8.02.2008

Cheese Louise

Somehow I have gotten myself onto the Super Security Strip Search list. Or at least that's what I assume the circled SSSS on all of my tickets indicates. I think it might have something to do with losing my passport...which is still lost in the mail!

Regardless, I had the complete pat down. Every single item in my bag was taken out,books were rifled through, underwear fondled, photographs admired.

Most of all they were very wary of the cheese. "Cheese?? Why do you have cheese?" holding the cheese as if it were a deadly disease.

"Because I want to eat it."

Most of the teachers here had written us, reminding us if we wanted anything rather than Feta for the next year to bring it ourselves.

Suspicious looks, motions, "Scan it again."

Phew...the cheese was safe and sound back in my carry-on.

Amazingly, in Frankfurt the Germans were much more understanding, maybe it's having to deal with the French all of the time. I told them about the cheese and they nodded in approval. I even got a "Danke shein".

While none of my bags have arrived, it's nice to know that at 3 am (like right now) I have the choice between Feta or Parmesan.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG! I love this story! Smuggling cheese. I am reading "It Must Have Been Something I Ate" by Steingarten and he laments the difficulties of traveling with cheeses. He would feel for you, too.

And I love the spice babies. You know Michael does as well. (Although he would rally that you rename Verbena (what kind of spice is that) Cardamom. Just a hunch.

Love the photos. The theme seems to be "how brown can you go?" Lots o' dirt.

--B FASO